Welcome to Harlands Community
Primary & Nursery School
Grand Opening Day
Moving to new location
Glazing the phonebox
Painting the top coat on the phone box - February half term
Painting the undercoat on the phone box - February half term
Painting the 24 large frames & 48 small frames Christmas holidays
Painting 24 large window frames
Painting 48 small window frames
Stripping out and preparing the telephone box Christmas holidays
Stripping out the inside
Preparing the outside frames
Preparing the inside frames
The arrival at Harlands November
The Project Begins
Harlands school put in a successful bid to the Bedgebury Foundation to fund the refurbishment of the telephone box and also to fill the box full of books.
Volunteers and children helped to restore and repair the phone box to its original colour.
In November 2021 Thornes civil engineers lifted the phone box from its position and delivered the phone box to Harlands school so that it could be refurbished and fitted with a library full of books.
K6 Telephone Box
In 1935 the K6 was designed to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of George V. It was consequently sometimes known as the "Jubilee" kiosk. It went into production in 1936. The K6 was the first red telephone kiosk to be extensively used outside London, and many thousands were deployed in virtually every town and city, replacing most of the existing kiosks and establishing thousands of new sites. In 1935 there had been 19,000 public telephones in the UK: by 1940, thanks to the K6, there were 35,000.
The design was again by Giles Gilbert Scott, and was essentially a smaller and more streamlined version of the K2, intended to be produced at a considerably cheaper cost, and to occupy less pavement space.
Size. The K6 was 2.51 m tall and weighed 0.69 tonnes.
The Crown motif, which had previously been pierced through the ironwork to give ventilation, was now embossed in bas-relief. A new, separate ventilation slot was provided.
A new glazing pattern was introduced. In the K6 the number of rows of glass was increased to 8, and the central column of panes was made considerably wider than previous ones. This improved visibility, and gave a more horizontal appearance to the windows.
Back in 2008
In 2008 the phone stood opposite the station where there is now a cycle rack for commuters. The telephone box was decommissioned when the built a new car park for the commuters.
The telephone box was left on the side for about three years when we put in a suggestion to the town council that we turn the phone box into a children’s community library to benefit the children on the Harlands estate.